I never expected to live on a curling country road in
PA. Pennsylvania is the state I always said I wasn't going to live in. Too crowded, you know, with a confusing road system to go with it. But here I am, half a mile from the corner where
squirrels go to die. (Seriously. There always seems to be dead squirrels on
that corner.) And here you are, joining me. I suppose you’ll say you never
imagined yourself to be with me like this.
That’s fine. You don’t have to like me.
But you need to join me for a few months until you rock that
research paper and deliver a show-stopping speech.
My goal in this class is be your guide and motivator. I am your support team and cheerleader. I
am also your dictator, judge, and entire jury. You want me on your team, I
promise.
Class Info and Instructions:
How it works.
I will post lessons, assignments, and fun (hopefully) extras on this blog. Each time I do, you should receive an email alerting you to any new posts. Always read to the end of the post which is where your assignments will be listed. It is important for you to know your assignments and deadlines.
1. Your part.
Not easy on a blog like this, but it is imperative that you participate. Sometimes you will only need to leave a comment on the blog. If you read these posts in your email, you will need to move to the blog before you can leave a comment. By participating, not only will you feel more connected to this class and your project, you will let me know I am working with Real Live Humans and not a Scurry of Dead Squirrels. (Yes, a group of squirrels is called a scurry. I looked it up.)
2.
Meet deadlines.
You will receive deadlines for parts of your research report. Turn them in on time. You know the drill, right? Punishments include things like caramel lattes and chocolate deliveries.
3.
Ask questions.
Any questions you might have can either be asked privately on my email (johnandsaranolt@gmail.com), on my
phone by text or WhatsApp (ask me in an email for my number if you don't have it already), or on the blog in
a comment. Chances are that if you have a question on something, more people
will have the same question and you will become a hero for asking The Question
Everyone Had in His Heart.
4. Prizes.
To encourage participation and enjoyment, I’m offering prizes. I will share more details as we go along, but if an assignment or optional activity mentions a prize, all participants will be added to a drawing. Prizes are things like gift cards.
Ready? Get Set. Go!
FIRST ASSIGNMENT-- I need to know if you can figure out how to leave comments on the blog, so every student is required to answer these questions in a comment:
What is your name?
What are two of your hobbies?
Sample comment: "My name is Jared and I like to sing and knit."
That's it, folks! See you in the comments.

My name is Sara Nolt and I love to write/edit and bake bread.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Gilbert Nolt and I love to play the French Horn and fish.
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Gilbert! Glad to see you here. Why don't you blast your French Horn to remind the remaining classmates that they need to post a comment? ;)
DeleteMy name is Kade Garman and I love playing volleyball and the banjo.
ReplyDeleteHi, Kade! Welcome and nice to see you here.
DeleteMy name is Amber Snader and I enjoy playing ultimate frisbee and hanging out with friends.
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Amber! If you run out of friends to hang out with, go knock on Tamara or Ava's door and ask them to post a comment. :)
DeleteHi! My name is Jared Martin and I enjoy playing viola and basketball!
ReplyDeleteI see I was wrong when I supposed you liked to sing and knit. Ah well! Now I know. Welcome!
DeleteHi! My name is Tamara Stoltzfus and I enjoy playing volleyball, shopping with my brother, and hanging out with my friends.:)
ReplyDeleteShopping with your brother? I thought that sounded like fun until I thought of my brother and his overactive sense of humor. It might be to my best interest to keep him out of the departments I like shopping in. That's great, though! Glad to have you join us here.
DeleteI’m Ava Weaver and I like to write and paint.
ReplyDeleteLovely hobbies, Ava! So glad to have you in this class.
DeleteHi, My names Doug I like filling my spare time with Coding and Photography. "When I'm not at work".
ReplyDeleteI'm curious to know what you like to photograph. People? Nature? Learning how to take great pictures is one of the things I want to do some time in my life. Welcome to the class!
Delete